Choice of Home or Hospital Births
In Cambridge, about 20% of births attended by a midwives take place at home, with the remaining 80% occurring at Cambridge Memorial Hospital. Home birth is a safe option for those who experience a low risk pregnancy.
Read more about the research and safety on home births.
Where and how you choose to give birth is a personal decision that you will make in consultation with your family and your midwife.
Midwives offer a full range of pain relief options in the hospital setting – including epidural. If you require or wish to have an epidural, your care remains with your midwife.
If you are planning to give birth at home, we will supply most of the necessary supplies (such as absorbent bed pads) and provide you with a list of household items that you should have on hand in your home. We will also discuss the reasons and emergencies for transport to the hospital if needed. Please note that one requirement for safe home birth is reasonably quick access to a hospital.
It is recommended that clients living rurally choosing to give birth at home live within thirty minutes of a hospital that offers obstetric services. In the event of inclement winter weather and poor road conditions, it may be necessary for rural clients at a distance to go to the nearest hospital via ambulance for their birth. If you are a client in our care, your midwife will discuss your choice of birthplace with you. Read more about the research and safety of home births.
Our midwives hold privileges at Cambridge Memorial Hospital. Our experienced midwives practice at their fullest scope and are able to order and monitor epidural and oxytocin inductions of labour.
In rare circumstances, it may be necessary for clients planning a home birth to come to the hospital to give birth. Similarly, clients may have to give birth at a hospital other than the one they had planned due to a lack of resources and/or circumstances beyond anyone’s control at the hospital.