COVID-19 Policy and Procedures
We are committed to protecting everyone’s health and wellbeing. We have implemented the following policies to keep everyone (clients, visitors, midwives, administrative staff) as safe as possible during the pandemic.
Infection Control Measures:
- Born Midwives does not require visitors to wear a mask, however you are welcome to wear one if you prefer. If you need a mask, we will provide them for our visitors.
- We ask that if you are ill or if you have been exposed to someone with Covid-19 to refrain from visiting the clinic. Please call our office to reschedule your appointment until you have been symptom free for 24 hours. Virtual appointments via phone or Zoom are also available options.
- Hand sanitizer is available in all rooms of our clinic.
- Our clinic is equipped with medical-grade air purifiers fitted with HEPA filters.
- Our midwives and support staff will wear appropriate PPE if we are within 6 feet of a visitor to the clinic. This may consist of wearing a medical mask, face shield/eye protection, protective gown, and/or gloves.
Enhanced Cleaning Procedures:
- all equipment, examination beds, and seating are wiped down with disinfectant between each client visit
- high traffic touch points (door handles, buttons, countertops) are wiped with disinfectant frequently throughout the day
- parking tokens are disinfected prior to distribution
- our office is professionally cleaned at the end of each clinic day
- Approximately 48 hours prior to your appointment, you will receive an e-mail appointment reminder. Please screen yourself for symptoms of Covid-19. If you do not receive these e-mails, please let our office administrator know right away.
- Please do not come to a clinic appointment if you are ill. Our administrator will assist in rescheduling you for a virtual appointment, or an in-person appointment when you are symptom-free for 24 hours.
Alteration of Visits:
- Our midwives may offer the World Health Organization (WHO) schedule for prenatal visits as warranted (see schedule here).
- In order to mutually reduce potential exposure, midwives are able to offer virtual visits via telephone or Zoom when in-person assessment is not required or recommended.
Visiting Our Clinic:
- Please arrive for your clinic appointment as close to your scheduled time as possible. Our midwives make every effort to remain on time, but sometimes this is not possible. You may be contacted to come later in the day if we are running behind. We ask for your flexibility, patience, and understanding.
- We ask that you clean your hands with sanitizer upon entry to the clinic.
- We ask that only 1 support person accompany you to your appointments. You are welcome to have additional support person(s) included in your visits via speakerphone or a video call.
- Please tell your midwife if there is anyone in your home who is symptomatic for Covid-19, so that appropriate personal protective equipment can be worn.
- If you or anyone in your home screens positive or is symptomatic of Covid-19, your visit may need to be rescheduled or done virtually.
- We ask that minimal support people are present in the immediate vicinity of the home visit.
- If possible/reasonable, please allow for extra ventilation in your home. This can be achieved by opening a window, or by using an air purifier with a HEPA filter.
- Please let your midwife know if anyone in your home is symptomatic for Covid-19. If this is the case, your midwife will wear appropriate personal protective equipment.
- In the event of planned home birth, and you are ill or symptomatic of Covid-19 at time of labour, it is highly advisable for birth to occur in the hospital setting.
- Midwives will wear appropriate PPE as determined by the individual midwife. In addition to wearing a medical face mask, this may also consist of medical scrubs, face shield, eye goggles, isolation gown, or an N95 respirator.
- We ask that only necessary support persons are present for the birth. Video call platforms are a great way to include extra support from those who live afar.
- As above, if extra ventilation in your home can be achieved, please do so.